¼ cup PureHarvest Olive Oil
¾ cup popcorn kernels
¾ – 1 cup PureHarvest Rice Malt Syrup
2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups roasted nuts (we used pecans, almonds and cashews)
Pinch baking soda
Salt to taste
- Pop the mixed nuts on a tray and put into a 160°C oven to roast. They should take around 10 minutes.
- While the nuts are roasting it’s time to make the popcorn. If you have a popcorn machine feel free to use it (just follow the instructions). Otherwise making the perfect popcorn on the stove is really simple. Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pot. Pour in the popcorn kernels into the pot and place the lid on. Once you hear the kernels begin to pop, give the saucepan a shake, this helps the kernels from sticking to the bottom on the pot. As soon as the popcorn stops popping, or the popping becomes quiet, remove from the stove and pour into a large bowl, and set aside.
- Check the nuts in the oven. You want them to be lightly browned. Once ready remove from the oven and add to the popcorn.
- Now it’s time to make the vanilla caramel. Place the rice malt, butter and vanilla into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Pop in a pinch of baking powder. Once the mixture is frothing remove from the heat and pour over the popcorn and nuts. Give it a good stir to ensure all the popcorn and nuts are evenly coated with the caramel.
- Place the mixture on the baking tray and pop into the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Allow the popcorn to cool slightly before breaking it up and popping it into a bowl.
- This popcorn is great for movie nights at home, a delicious snack and also great for kids’ birthday parties. It’s cane sugar free and is a great alternative to your store bought popcorn.